What is Betapro®?
Betapro® is the preparation of bisoprolol fumarate, a highly cardioselective beta1-selective adrenoceptor blocking agent. It is used for the management of hypertension.
What are the indications of Betapro®?
- Treatment of stable chronic heart failure with reduced systolic left ventricular function in addition to ACE inhibitors, diuretics, and optionally cardiac glycosides.
- Treatment of chronic, stable angina pectoris.
- Treatment of essential hypertension.
What are the dosage & administration of Betapro®?
The dose of Betapro® must be individualized to the needs of the patient. The usual starting dose is 5 mg once daily. In some patients, 2.5 mg may be an appropriate starting dose. If the antihypertensive effect of 5 mg is inadequate, the dose may be increased to 10 mg and then, if necessary, to 20 mg once daily.
What are the contraindications/precautions of Betapro®?
Bisoprolol fumarate is contraindicated in patients with cardiogenic shock, overt cardiac failure, second or third degree AV block, and marked sinus bradycardia.
Caution should be exercised in adjusting the dose in patients with renal or hepatic impairment.
What are the common side effects of Betapro®?
The most serious side effects are related to the heart function:
- Slowing of heart rate (affects more than 1 person in 10)
- worsening of heart failure (affects less than 1 person in 10)
- slow or irregular heartbeat (affects less than 1 person in 100)
How supplied / storage of Betapro®?
Betapro® 2.5 tablet: Box containing 30 tablets in 3X10′s blister strips. Each film coated tablet contains Bisoprolol Fumarate USP 2.5 mg.
Betapro® 5 tablet: Box containing 30 tablets in 3X10′s blister strips. Each film coated tablet contains Bisoprolol Fumarate USP 5 mg.
Betapro® 10 tablet: Box containing 30 tablets in 3X10′s blister strips. Each film coated tablet contains Bisoprolol Fumarate USP 10 mg